Skip To Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is Duluth Adult Education?

We are located at 325 W. 1st. St. on the 3rd floor of the Arvig Building. This is at the corner of 4th Ave. and W. 1st St. behind City Hall on the same block as the YMCA. Some of our programming is located off site at Lake Superior College and Community Action Duluth. 

Where is the best place to park?

Click here for a parking map of the area.

How do I know if I’m eligible for DAE programs?

If you are 18 or older, you are eligible for most of our programs. Adult diploma students need to be 21 or older. For students under 21 seeking credit recovery or a diploma you may contact the Area Learning Center (ALC).

What if I already have a H.S. diploma, but I want to refresh my reading, math and/ or computer skills? 

You are still eligible for our other programs: Building Basic Skills, Computer Skills, Learning English, College Preparation, and  Career Path

How do I enroll in DAE programs?

Start step 1 of the registration process by clicking here: DAE!

How can you offer classes for free?

Federal and state funding provide free public education to adults. To learn more you can click here: 

Why am I required to do assessments at Duluth Adult Education?

In short, it is what allows us to offer our free programming to students.  Duluth Adult Education receives federal and state funds that pay for our programming. In order to receive those funds the assessments are required to ensure we are meeting our performance targets. Students are required to take an assessment before entering our program. They will also be required to take additional assessments at specific points in their program. 

GED and Adult Diploma Preparation

How long will it take for me to get done? 

There is no for sure answer to this question. Everyone is different. It depends on what level you are starting at and how much time you can commit to coming to class and studying on your own. We do know that everyone has a path to accomplish their goal and we will work with you on your journey until you are there.

What is the difference between the GED and Adult Diploma?

The GED is comprised of 4 tests: Reading, Social Studies, Science, and Math and shows you have the equivalent knowledge of a high school graduate. This option is best for students who are several credits away from a diploma and are willing to invest time to study and prepare for the test. It is also a great option for students who may be able to pass the tests with very little preparation. A DAE Teacher can give you a pre-test to determine your best path of study.

The Adult Diploma is earned by completing work to earn credit toward a Duluth Public Schools diploma. This option is best for students who were only a few credits short of graduation. A DAE Teacher can have you complete a transcript release form, analyze your transcript, and discuss the specifics of what your adult diploma plan would look like.


How do I take my GED test?

Visit Our GED Testing Page

How do I take a ParaPro test?

Visit Our ParaPro Testing Page

Current Students

What do I do if I forget my password?

Contact your DAE Teacher and they can assist you. If you are unable to reach your teacher, you can contact our main office at 218.336.8725 or